Crowdfunding healthcare innovation
On June 11, iamsick.ca
co-founder Ryan Doherty (@ryansdoherty
) will host a #hcsmca chat to discuss how crowdfunding can play a role in healthcare innovation.
What is #hcsmca?
A tweet chat about crowdfunding healthcare innovation?
- #hcsmca is a community passionate about healthcare social innovations
- hcsmca holds weekly tweet chats on Wednesdays at 1PM ET
- anyone and everyone can join in the chat
iamsick.ca's crowdfunding campaign ( from our May 7th blog post on crowdfunding )
- iamsick.ca aims to create awareness of the value that crowdfunding brings to healthcare innovation, hackathon teams, and healthcare startups
We normally think of crowdfunding to support a large scope of activities such as disaster relief, startup fundraising, film/music production, prototype development, or app development. For iamsick.ca, our crowdfunding campaign is an opportunity to raise funds to cover the cost of expanding our free Ontario-wide healthcare wayfinding app to every corner of Canada. However, it isn’t just about raising funds, we are also giving Canadians a voice. Everyone who supports our campaign will receive a vote to decide “where next?” We are hoping to bring together Canadians passionate about improving healthcare to create a movement that will lead to more accessible and efficient healthcare for everyone.
Crowdfunding = Community Engagement
- crowdfunding is more than just a fundraising tool
- crowdfunding allows healthcare innovators to engage the public (patients, physicians, organizations)
- through our vote initiative, we give Canadians an opportunity to be involved in iamsick.ca's growth (a vote to decide which province next)
- crowdfunding can create an opportunity to give supporters a behind-the-scenes peek at healthcare app development
- crowdfunding can create conversations and shine a spotlight on opportunities that organizations & policy makers may otherwise not notice
For the #hcsmca chat on June 11, 2014
at 1pm EST
, we will discuss the following topics that explore crowdfunding to innovate healthcare:
T1: What is crowdfunding, and how is it different from traditional fundraising?
T2: Does crowdfunding help advance healthcare IT and innovation? If so, how?
T3: What role does the social web and / or network engagement play in crowdfunding?